Marketing in 2014 - Augmented Reality
Written by Fozia Choudhary
on 05 Mar 2014
Over the last 12 months there has been a real explosion in the use of Augmented Reality (AR) as a marketing tool. AR is a live view of the real world which is ‘augmented’ or improved with digital enhancements such as sound, graphics and videos. This innovation and creation in Augmented Reality is the way forward to promote products and drive user engagement.
Here are some stats to show how the Augmented Reality market has grown in 2013. (Source www.augmentedrealitytrends.com)
- In 2014, around 30 percent mobile subscribers will use AR at least once in a week.
- In 2014, more than 864 million smartphones will have AR technology enabled in them.
- It is expected that by 2017 more than 2.5 billion mobile AR apps are going to be downloaded.
- The total revenue generated from AR at the end of 2013 is expected to be around $300 million.
- By 2016, the revenue is expected to cross $600 billion.
Here is an example of how Augmented Reality can be used in today’s consumer markets:
Imagine a new enterprise has a grand opening of their store and they wish to put an advert in a local newspaper with details of the opening and offering a free gift to those who attend. Augmented Reality can be used as a marketing tool to make the company stand out from the crowd…
- The advert would contain all the usual information about the store opening, address, contact details etc. However, it would also give the reader the opportunity to get a free gift by scanning their smart phone over a QR code in the advert .
- The individual would then be prompted to download a mobile application allowing them to watch a video about the enterprise on their phone.
- Using AR, the interactive video will show the location of the new store, give the user a chance to explore the interior, and show detailed images/graphics of their products.
- The app would also enable the user to share it on social network sites and download a voucher for their free gift.
- Once this is done, an instant consumer audience is created that has already interacted with the enterprise before even visiting the store and shared information about it with their friends and family!
What this means for marketing in 2014…much greater interactivity, real time information and tractability.